All Hallows Church was initially designated the Church of the Good Shepherd, as designed by James Brooks (R.A.Exhibit 1894).
The East End of the Church faces Courthope Road. This was started by William Turner in 1883 and completed nine years later. The vault of the nave was not completed, and Brooks’ timber turrets and Heche never adorned the roof.
On the opposite corner, still in Courthope Road is the spacious vicarage. This was designed by James Brooks and erected in 1889-91. In 1891 the Vicar was then Reverend Charles Mackeson who resided there with his wife, four sons, two daughters and three servants who the census record suggests were “living in wooden sheds in the garden”.
Also in Courthope Road, passing the Church Hall on the right is used by Hampstead Hill Pre-preparatory School since the conversion of the Church Undercroft for parish activities. In September 2009 Camden Council leased the premises to use for ‘Educational purposes’.
The first ‘parish room’ on this site was a corrugated iron structure built for £300 by two of the parishioners in 1889. Also, one can note the houses at the upper end of the road have different windows on the second floor.
The predecessor to the church of All Hallows stood on Mansfield Rd. Reverend Mackeson, a Civil Servant, commenced this task in 1878 as a lay Evangelist at the Mission Hall in Fleet Road, which is still there to this day. He also compiled the well know ‘Guide to the Churches of London’. He left the Civil Service to be ordained as deacon in 1885 and Priest in 1889. He was given the title ‘Vicar – designate of All Hallows, North St Pancras’ when the new district came into being by an Order-in-Council on 18 July 1894.
His enthusiasm at the Mission Hall in 1886 the Church of the Good Shepherd was established in Mansfield Road on the site of Myrtle and Labernham Cottages, opposite Courthope Road. The pre-cast iron Church, and far from beautiful, sufficed for 25 years until All Hallows in preparation.
Unfortunately Charles Mackeson did not live to see his great church completed, dying from overwork in 1899, at age 47. He was buried from the Church of the Good Shepherd on 4 November.
The Land for the Church, Vicarage and Church Hall had been purchased from the Earl of Mansfield in 1888 at a cost of £1,380. The Cornerstone was laid with much pomp (1892) and the Nave was consecrated by the first, and only, Bishop of Islington on 23 January 1901. All Hallows officially became a parish on 7 February 1901.
The great four-manual organ, and the latter to be built and also under the supervision of Dr Arthur Hill was installed a year later. The opening recital was given by Dr W G Alcock.
More recently the bells from St Stephen’s Church (part of the parish) Hampstead have been recast and installed
for chiming at All Hallows.
The Vicar of All Hallows’ is now Prebendary David Houlding.